Monday, February 21, 2011

Melbourne



Moon over Melbourne

As the weather crashed in around us, our Captain did a full speed ahead .He wanted to avoid being out in the open where the winds were high and the sea was rough. We arrived in Melbourne at 11 PM, a full 9 hours early. I missed the gentle rocking of the ship putting me to sleep.  The full moon guiding us into port was a beautiful backdrop as we entered Melbourne's Bay.

The command was SIT, I believe.


 Once again, Security Beagle greeted us as we filed out the ships door and headed for our tour.  Besides drugs, they do not want any plants or food brought on land from the ship.  We carried our purses and bags low so this he could check us out.  They had a taped off area for us to walk single file and one for him.  Adorable  and friendly little guy. I have high expectations for all future ports in Australia. I will keep you posted....:)

Our tour of Melbourne was an easy bus ride around the city for a few hours. We were here 15 years ago. We did not remember the city we saw today. It has grown!  It reminds me of a little Chicago. It has a small town feel with all the city amenities. I think a few days here with a car would be nice.  Then we could take time to really see the city and explore its museums and parks on our own.

 During our tour we went to Melbourne Museum.  With only an hour, we didn't scratch the surface.  We visited the Bunjilaka exibit, showcasing the traditions of Australia's Aboriginal groups.  Picture taking was not allowed as these people believe when you take a photo you steel their spirit.  This is why I don't like my picture taken also.... similar belief systems at work.   This is a modern museum with outstanding displays.  Meghan, you would love to work here! 
View from 88 
We then went to the Eureka Sky deck (92 story apartment building) and took the elevator up to 88. It was like being home...:)   Rainy day and fog set the mood for this visit.  It is well done and a nice idea. The outside of the building reminded me of a newer version of the Sear's Tower only more modern and glitzy.   We were able to see all of Melbourne from every direction.  There are lots of parks and gardens here, museums , a zoo,  and an aquarium,.


His wife makes the spice blends

After dropping David off, I explored the city.  On a Sunday it was packed with people shopping, strolling and just hanging out.  Vibrant.  There were entertainers, jugglers, singers, guitar players and mimes if you wanted to sit down in one several open plazas and take a rest.  There are tons of outdoor seating restaurants.  There are tons of little side streets filled with boutique's.  There are malls within the city blocks and a closed off street just for pedestrians. Trolly's circle the areas.  

 I really enjoyed visiting the craft booths during the Sunday Art  Festival.  I bought some home packaged curries to try.  I had to smell lots of little bottles to pick the right ones for me (us).  I caved in to the pressures of a delightful smell in the air and bought some baby pancakes for myself.  Yum.




No comments:

Post a Comment