Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Filipino Dinner

Tonight we had our second Trivia group dinner.  Sadly one of David's team is leaving in Sydney.  His name is Ian.... :)  He will be missed.  Well, dinner tonight, just for our little group,  (Valentine's Day) was Filipino.  We had a Filipino roll, much like Kings Hawaiian Bread.  We had soup with shrimp and veggies.  We had a fried spinach appetizer. I opted out of the sweet and sour fish.  I took a piece of chicken with a garlic-soy sauce.   Then we were served a deep fried pig knuckle.  This I did not understand.   I use the smoked hocks for my split pea soup.  I was thinking 'not much meat here', but OK.  I tried to pull a bit of meat out.  I learned from table mates that the DELICACY is THE SKIN...deep fried pork fat skin....OK,  (politely to myself) I think ewww... so I pulled a bit of skin off to try it.  It crunches crisply in your mouth.  I will say it is crunchy and has a nice taste, but I could only think FAT, lots of thick fat.   This part I toss at home. I was not keen on the idea of this.



For desert we had some strange concoction. I think it was a mix of vegetables and fruit with crushed ice in between,  black beans at the bottom.... ice cream on top. I gave the ice cream to David. Some of us took out the ice and tried to eat the food part and others ate it as served.  I did not get it....nice to try, just weird for me.

I liked two things ... :)  You will be surprised.  One was garlic rice and the other, an appetizer, called KangKong..... I may have to go vegetarian after eating this.  I had seconds.  :)  It was like eating a potato chip.  It was dipped in a garlic mayonnaise like sauce. I  liked the garlic rice.  The garlic must have been roasted because you could see light brown flecks of garlic in the while rice.

http://www.pinoyrecipe.net/crispy-kangkong-recipe-river-spinach/



 


Next special dinner for us...Indian!  I am going to request Chicken Tiki Masala....of course. ...if I get a say,

No comments:

Post a Comment