Thursday, February 24, 2011

It's All About Arriving and Departing...



If ever you have an opportunity to be on a cruise with Sydney as one of your ports of call, I would say always wake up early and sail in with your eyes wide open. At 6AM I was out the door and headed up to deck 12, camera in hand.  Although still dark, the sun was cutting a sliver in the sky.  Nature never fails to awe.  A new day was beginning.   

 I climbed the stairs two by two. The shot I wanted was Sydney at sunrise.  When I reached 12, I realized my sunrise was on one side of the ship and the Sydney skyline was on the other....the ship and I were smack in the middle,  a momentary downer.  The sky was heavy with grey clouds as I waited patiently  for the sun and the city.   I was the second person on deck.   Slowly over time people began to drift up.  I took a few pictures as the crowd grew. We became a silent group of Sydney watchers.
   
Surrounded by coffee clutchers, I decided it was time to join the crowd.   Down to deck 5 I went for my morning latte.  I have to get lattes here because THE COFFEE IS TOO STRONG!  Sometimes I have to make compromises ....
Our pilot probably did not have his morning coffee and therefore was an hour late.  World Travelers are a patient group. Life went on at full stop as we waited for our guide.   It takes about 45 minutes at turtle speed to be guided into Sydney. The light at the end of the rainbow is the Opera House, of course.
  Sydney's Opera House is the reason we are all up with the sun.  The backdrop of the city is just its icing.  A few snaps of the camera and back to the cabin to wait for the usual "NO PLANTS OR FOOD" talk and bingo we are cleared to go ashore.

Here is the Beagle Shot you have been waiting for.......

Well, the sniffing beagle brigade was here but THEY would not let me see them.  Only departing passengers (move to the left) got to have their day enhanced.  I was in the second class in transit group (no perks)..... I had to move to the right....  Rules are rules.  I was not going to mess with the customs guys in uniform.

Having one day in Sydney David and I went to a movie and had lunch.  Sometimes normal is nice. No tours. Sydney has GREAT shopping and restaurants.

All too soon, the day ends.....Leaving Sydney is so hard to do.  On board, the ship hosted a Dessert and Dancing Under the Stars night on the pool deck.  As we sailed away, I moved up to deck 12.  I was back where it all began once again.  You almost hold your breath as you  try to take in the beauty all at once... the Harbor Bridge,  the Opera House, .... the skyline... all in their glittery full glory... glowing majestically and proud under a crystal clear sky



 As a few hundred people perched themselves on a rail with the view, the loud speakers played toe tapping "Waltzing Matilda".  They followed this up with "I Still Call Australia Home".  Not a dry eye was in sight.


No comments:

Post a Comment