Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Good Thing For Speed ......


Richmond, Tasmania
Oldest bridge and Catholic Church still in use in Australia


Security Beagle Greets me Once Again
 After we left the Fjords, we were on our way to Hobart, Tasmania.    We had two glorious sea days ahead.  There is a slight problem in this naive thinking when you say two glorious days ahead and add Tasman Sea in the same sentence.
The Tasman Sea has its reputation.  As the weather caved in on us, the Captain pulled a full speed ahead and we docked 12 hours early in Hobart, the home of the Tasmanian Devil.  Everyone on the ship had to do a face to face immigration check in.  After dinner, one by one, we filed into the theater for a look over and a stamp of approval.

The next morning, David and I headed out for a short countryside tour of Tasmania where we would stop in Richmond and meet The Devil.  To my delight, guess who greeted me at the ships door?  YES! Security Beagle!  After a photo stop at the ship's door we were on our way.  Tasmania, that word just has its allure. doesn't it?  I loved Tasmania.  It has green rolling hills , lots of space, and farms everywhere.  People are self sufficient.  Everyone has a garden and grows their own vegetables.  Many have vineyards!  The soils is fertile. The land is so clean that its dirt  is sent all over the world.  The air in Tasmania is the cleanest in the world.  It is said the rainwater is so pure it has been shipped to Australian athletes competing in the Olympics.  Tasmania is known as the 'Ideal State".    So who wants to come here to live?  Me, I do! 

We first stopped in Richmond, 15 miles outside of Hobart.  This is the first area that was settled in Tasmania.  This historic town retains its charm as it did 130 years ago.  David got his $15 haircut while I walked around and visited the shops.  I found a candy store and got David his favorite chocolate almonds and some cashews.  We saw St John's Church (the oldest Roman Catholic still in use in Australia) and we passed over Richmond Bridge (Australia's oldest bridge)  It was a nice walk around, a delightful visit to the past.

We then headed to meet The Devil himself.  We stopped at a wildlife refuge center where animals are protected, healed and hopefully some day sent back to the wild.  Made me a tad sad to see so many animals with health issues.  Good thing for these caring people.  We saw kangaroos, koalas, ducks, and birds and lizards and yes, the famous Tasmanian Devil.  They looked like a large rat to me. When one of them yawned, there was a nano second of endearment but that is about it.  His teeth are super sharp.  They are scavengers... enough said.

I dropped David off at the ship and I took in the town on my own.  I walked for miles around town then around the harbor. I found a delightful artist area and had fun browsing their wares.  Pottery and yarn shops, Meghan!!!  Tons of outdoor restaurants with tables outdoors.  It was a windy day and a delightful adventure.

We are now on our way to Melbourne.  This is where my blog ends.... for today.  Our Butler, Trevor has been in to tie down our balcony furniture.  I put all my sundries in boxes under the bathroom sink. The pool deck has been closed.  We are just asked to stay in our cabins and if out use handrails.  We are in the eye of the storm, so says our Captain.   I think the eye has passed..... as we are starting some serious rock and rolling again with serious banging in between.    The wind is whipping around ... rain is moving sideways across my window.  I just see an angry sea of huge whitecaps in front of my desk. ... never a good sign. We are full speed ahead to avoid, out run, or be one step ahead of another storm. We  will be docking safely in Melbourne 10 hours early, about 8 hours from now.  I am going to go lie flat now and call it a day....

Waiting patiently for a drink


Kookaburra

Singing Tasmanian Devils


The little devil happier without visitors..



 
HELLO!


my ostrich friend.....


a yawning Tasmanian Devil

Posted by Picasa

 

No comments:

Post a Comment