Friday, February 26, 2010

Semarang, Indonesia ...... Day 41

I was sitting at my computer..... (my usual view of the ocean out my window......how great is that?)  and all of a sudden, I see masses of tiny black shadows of fishing boats dotting the ocean.  It was an amazing view.  I quickly grabbed my camera  and tried to capture the breathtaking mass of the simple boats before me.  Sometimes, a few would sail closer to our ship. I was able to snap the beauty of the primary colors the fishermen used to color their boats. The boats were scattered for miles  far from shore.  We were entering the tiny industrial town of Semarang.  Once docked, many on the ship headed to Borobudar, for a ten hour tour.  We were there 15 years ago.  Instead of a ship tour, we hired a private driver and took a two hour tour of a town that had no tourist sites of any note.  Our guide was limited in his English speaking skills, but the tour was exactly what we were looking for.  We went up and down some very narrow side streets and some busy modern highways. He pointed out his Mom selling fruits and vegtables.  Much later he showed us a huge old run down market where his wife went each morning to buy food .  Some streets were modern, clean and fast moving and some were full of pot holes,mud, and pedicabs.  It was a mix of modern and rustic.  He took us to see his Mosque which was quite impressive and very modern.   We caught a glimpse of some men napping 'on the job'....  :)  When they saw me snap a photo, they sat up and waved 'hello'.  Not much to see or do here as a tourist,  but a nice day none the less.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment