Friday, February 19, 2010

Komodo Island...Amazing beautiful from the Ship...


Posted by Picasa

Every time I say "this has got to be the most beautiful place in the world", I find myself saying it yet again. The views coming to and leaving this island were unbelievably beautiful. I found myself mesmerized by the natural beauty of the jagged peaks. It was super hot and humid. It is a place that I loved sailing in to...loved looking at...hated to leave, but was happy to not have to live there. I loved having my boat to retreat to. This island was settled by convicts. That tells you something about the fun that can be had here.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTnrm338_KY
http://www.truveo.com/komodo-dragons-attacking-islanders/id/1457748203
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reptiles/komodo-dragon.html

Komodo Island is 22 miles long by 9 miles wide. It is part of Indonesia. In 1992 Komodo was declared a World Heritage Site. This is home to 2,500 Komodo dragons, the largest lizards on earth, descendents of dinosaurs. Male dragons can reach 13 feet in length, weigh 300 pounds, and live 50 years. They are fast and can chase their prey at a speed of 10 mph. (I am in trouble here) Komodo dragons are carnivorous. They can't see very well but have a keen sense of smell that can pick up a scent from 7 miles away. When hungry, their tail knocks down its prey or their serrated teeth, which are filled with a deadly bacteria, injects a flesh rotting infection that will kill any animal they bite within days. Attack now, eat later. Or, they simply use razor sharp claws to slash through their victim’s belly. Not a fun way to go. The cute little new born dragons will live up in the trees for 3 or 4 years until they are big enough to fend for themselves on land. They love to lie about under porches in Komodo.

Only about 600 people live on Komodo Island.

Hmmmm....I wonder why.....

No comments:

Post a Comment