Thursday, January 20, 2011

And So We Begin!

Our World Cruise began on a sad day for Tucson as people were mourning the loss of members of our community by a senseless act of violence. The newspaper headlines around the world boldly covered the story as we walked through both the Tucson and San Francisco airports. Our flight was delayed about 3 hours due to fog so I played games on my computer as we waited for the GO signal. 
At the airport Regent met us and placed us in a limo with a driver from Russia who lectured us with his political views all the way to the ship.  I could not be happier when I finally got out of his car and shut the door behind me.   After the delays, the fog and the communist view lecture, I set off the security alarm and got frisked before I was able to get on the ship... :)  I was ready for that glass of champaign....well actually, I poured one half of their glass into another half glass and had myself a FULL glass of champaign..... and so starts my cruise!

Our suitcases greeted us when we entered our suite.  Unpacking was easy as we knew where to put everything ... as it worked last year.  It's like being Home.  Once again, I cursed myself for bringing too many clothes ....  We decided to go to Ruth's Chris for dinner.  It was Oh-My-God-Delicious. When we got back to the ship, Joel Grey was the headliner.  Nice to see him do his New York number but I much prefered the Beach Boys and Jay Leno last year. 
We spent a day in San Francisco, had lunch at our favirite Deli, and headed back to the ship for our sail away.  It was windy and FREEZING on deck 12 as we sailed past Alcatraz and then under the Golden Gate Bridge.  I had the sail away drink, of course.  Since it was too cold for me to hold, I made David hold it for me as I stood in back of him so he would block the wind for me.... :)  What fun that was...a real treat to sail under the Great Bridge.  A sail boat got a bit too close and was shooed away by a menacing looking guy on a gun boat.... Cool.  It was beautiful as the sun set.  As soon as we were under, a thick fog hit and the horizon disappeared as did the bridge and we retreated back to our suite to get warm again. 

It has taken 4 at-sea days to finally start to Blog..... I kinda have to get in the groove again.  The seas have been calm....(sort of) with that wonderful lull of gentle rocking at night.  We have had some great lectures.  I continue to love my Broth at 11.  It is too cold still for the pool or being out on deck unless you have a blanket.  Many people just read on deck with their blankets wrapped around them.  Great sea air.   I am taking art classes and photography classes....Hence, my artwork above.  I know it looks like some famous artist did it, but for real, it is just me.....:)  We have stayed up late for some shows, eaten in the speciality restaurants, and met up with friends from last year.  It seems like it will be a great cruise... You know, how you just FEEL it?  It has that feel about it already.  We are in Hilo, Hawaii... LAND HO as our cruise director said earlier.  I guess you just get in that spirit sometimes.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment