Monday, March 7, 2011

We Go Continuing



 




A picture tells a thousand words.  Since I took about 200 pictures in my one short hour tour of a local market in Bali you all should be thankful I am choosing to tell it in pictures rather then in words.  You can tell how much I love to go to markets or to do anything revolving around being with the locals where ever we go.  I love the faces both young and old.  The older people have their lives etched
on their faces.  I look at the colors and the way of dress and it suggests a hard life, an elegance and pride on some.  I often saw the warmth in closeness to friends and family as people sat and chatted while waiting for that sale.
The children are beautiful, fun, warm, friendly and full of hope and playfulness, a bit shy.  I can't describe the smells of the market other then to say they match the colors of the market...:)  Sometimes you need to walk fast to get through some areas.  Notice the floor....(in 2 photos above) wear closed toe shoes not sandals like I did.   I found everything in this market, fresh fish, dried fish, fruits, spices and vegtables, ready made food, flowers, live chickens to be bought home for dinner that night, offerings ready to go, birthday candles, umbrellas,  hand cream, popcorn, and Bali's own hand made salt.  I did not see any ice or refrigeration. I tasted a fruit called snake skin fruit, liked it and lived. 

I loved visiting this market but an hour was enough.  Our Guide would say "Let's go continuing" as he moved us through the market, up and down the narrow pathways and stairs, indoors and out while being in the way and bombarded by shoppers and people hauling new produce through the same narrow sometimes dark aisles.  It was HOT.  It was HUMID.

We got back to our air conditioned van.   A cold wash cloth and a colder bottle of water with a straw awaited us.  Need I say how fortunate  I felt ?   Such a small offering at the ready held a huge impact on me at that moment.  I was very Thankful as our small group piled into the van and headed to our cooking class.  Two very different cultures mingled for one very short hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment