Friday, March 11, 2011

Home Sweet Home, Manila


 We arrived in Manila very early on a grey morning.  The city as usual seemed to be in a dark  fog.  The sun was desperately trying to burn off the settled in fog not realising that nothing more needed to be done to enhance this day for those coming home.  The day was already a bright one sun or no sun.  With or without fog. Finally Home.
It seems one of then reasons we travel here is to pick up and deliver all the people that work on this ship.  The crew work 8 month shifts, seven days a week, all hours of the day.  Sometimes they get a few hours off at a port. Our housekeeper was excited to be home to see her 3 year old son, living with Grandma while she supports them. Our waiter from last years cruise was back on board as we sailed away.  So good to see him again.  He is starting his 8 month contract. Happy news! His wife is expecting.  She is due last week. She is ready to pop as we sail out. A second child for them.  I am excited for him while at the same time I think about his wife and the reasons they accept positions on board.  Could it be to see the world? Maybe.

So when we dock here, there is always a happiness and excitement in the air when we arrive. When we leave, the feeling is the exact opposite.  As we leave port that award winning smile goes on as the loved ones are left behind and a new contract begins.   I can slice the air with a knife.   How do they do that? I ask myself.
A much loved  mode of transportation is the jeepney.  I keep taking snapshots of these babies...  After WWII the Americans left these behind and with resourcefulness, the Filipinos put them to good use. Pile in if you want a ride

Not as cute as the beagles in Australia










I spent the day shopping in the SM Mall of Asia.  It is one of the largest shopping centers in the world with 600 stores, an ice rink, movies, and a huge park with rides and bumper cars.  I wonder why there are armed guards at every entrance,  checking everyone before they enter.  They are at KFC, Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and all mall entry points. Hmmm.  Is it as safe here as I feel?



Don't tell anyone...but Pizza Hut is
a must after fancy ship food for
a month!













A girls day out would not be complete without SOME pampering.  I left a 60% tip and received smiles from every technician, especially mine.  I did not understand what was said but even the owner came over and hoped I would return soon.  "Next year, I hope" was my reply.  I was a little embarassed hoping it was not looked at as showing off.  I wanted to leave more.  My manicure/pedicure was 465 pesos... for both,  or a whole $10.66.  It took me the whole 90 minutes to figure out how many dollars 465 pesos was.  A lot of $100 bills....Over tipping?  I don't think so.

Corregidor tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment