Monday, March 29, 2010

Surprise & Delight

David and I were reading/watching TV when Captain Dag made an all ship announcement. He only does this in the morning or in special circumstances so, of course, everyone on the ship listens. "Good Afternoon!" he said "It is such a lovely day today, the ocean is calm, and the sun is setting. I don't know when we will have a more beautiful day! I would like to invite everyone to come to deck 6, bow, for a Sundowner Party. We will have some music and drinks. I invite you all to come around 5:30 with the sun to set approximately 5:50. Hope to see you there." Captain Dag calls his trademark ideas "Surprise & Delights".
I just had a shower and washed my hair. I looked out the window and saw a glass ocean. I then looked to my left and the biggest, most orange ball of sunshine was waiting. Wow, I said to myself. It took about 10 minutes for me to grab my camera, do a quick dry and get to deck 6. I never miss a sunset, a sunrise (if up) or a rainbow. We were the first to arrive, too early. The sun was actually painful, it was so bright. We went back to deck 5, sat on a couch and waited until 5:30 for the party. As we sat, we watched the whole ship snake down the stairs and come down the elevators...all heading to deck 6. Some in shorts, some with hats, they came 'as they were' , most with cameras, and all eager to participate. On a World Cruise, at 5PM, I am guessing most are just winding down thinking about what to wear for dinner and doing absolutely nothing remarkable. When we went out on deck 6 at 5:35 , forward, Captain Dag was already there with all the Officers and Staff, drinks on silver trays were being served, and The Fun and Joy Duo was at the tip of the boat singing 60's music. I even knew the words to most songs. :) For the next 30 some minutes, everyone on the ship watched in awe as the most amazing sunset occurred. It just slowly slipped into the ocean in front of us. The ocean was just like glass, a mirror. Nature continued to delight us after the sun disappeared in the ocean by surrounding the whole ship in beautiful pink cotton candy clouds. Awesome....

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment