Friday, April 8, 2011

I Wonder Why

My new friend...Thank goodness for glass


Can you imagine having a house on this island?

All day long I have been asking myself why?  Why did we stop in Sihanoukville, Cambodia?  I have found the answer.  We stopped here so I could get this great photo of a cobra and some adorable monkey pictures.  Don't get me wrong.  It is always fun to be a traveler, to see new places.  Today I was a traveler seeing a new place. 

Today we had an up close view of this relatively new province in Cambodia.  Sihanoukville was founded in 1960.  I had a hard time understanding our guides English and had an equally hard time finding anything on the Internet to fill in for what I saw today.  It is an up and coming tourist destination with a long way to go.  When it gets there the highlight will be its beaches.  I give them credit for their dreams.  I hope they come true.  We visited a snake house hotel, the market, a Pagoda and a beach resort.  I think a lot of speculation is going on with other countries buying up land for when this becomes a popular tourist destination.  The Pagoda area was filled with persistent heart breaking begging children selling bracelets.  We also had two women in our group that bought the bracelets after the tour guide specifically cautioned us all not to.  Then we were swarmed by every child in the province hitting on our group all at once.  The beach resort was selling magnets for $7.50 while the same magnets went for $1 at the pier.  I do not understand.  The best thing of the day was seeing the monkeys on a fence as we headed back to the ship.  An unexpected delight.....


No comments:

Post a Comment