Monday, May 2, 2011

We Got Him and I am in the UAE?


Just before 7 AM we turned on the TV and started to get ready for our tour of Fujairah, United Arab Emirates. Originally we were signed up for a dune safari but having read about it, I did not think my hip would be up for the jarring bumps of the sand dunes. I canceled my tour. This morning David read exactly what I had read the day before and came to the wise decision this would not be good for his back either. So the old folks that we are signed up for a 5 hour bus trip with photo stops. 

New Flash this morning was "Osama Bin Laden killed". Neither of us believed it and as we dressed we listened. So where were you when OBL was killed?  Fujairah, UAE. I can not think of a worse place to be when hearing news such as this.  Is that Pakistan on the other side of the Gulf?  I think I can see it from here!    Unfortunately.


First of all I don't want anyone to be worried. I can do that well enough on my own for all. All is quiet here. Most of the ship is disembarking in Dubai, I would not want to be flying over the ocean from Dubai right now either. Although we have not heard about any changes of plans for this cruise, I am sure they would not plan any ports or tours that will put us in danger. We have contingency plans. I am not sure what they are but I know we do. We also have security on board and some anti terror stuff on the decks (LRAD System). We have a code where we are to lie flat in the hallways and if so I will bring my pillow. No flash photos from the balcony for me... :) I will keep you posted and promise I will not do anything stupid or go on a tour I am uncomfortable with.

Our tour today was a very long and boring 5 hours. It was one of those tours where you just want to bang your head against the window of the bus in sheer boredom.  It was 105 degrees out there and it just kept rising. I don't know how people can live here in this heat. Fujairah is about an hours drive from Dubai.  It is the only Emirate that lies on the Gulf of Oman. The land here is mountainous and volcanic.  It is bland monochromatic, grays and browns. No grass, no trees, no flowers... It is just hot and dry. Even the oasis was dry and barren.  We were told that the mountains do turn green in the winter but I find that hard to believe.

What is interesting is how discovering oil and natural gas here has affected the life of the citizens of Fujairah. There are no income taxes, there are jobless but everyone has a private home provided by the government. If you make less then $2,400 a month you have the right to additional reimbursement from your government. Education and medical are free. If you want a bigger home the government will give you a loan at .35%- year, less then 1% interest. 98% of the people work for the government. Oil.... I wish I had some in my back yard. What is scary is lack of water here. They spend 20 billion a year to bring water in. Energy is also a big problem. I did not see any poverty here. What I saw was new, everything new and building. New roads, new hotels, new subdivisions.  They say the oil will last for the next 3 generations. 

Everyone has a new home..... but still it is Hot.   It is so quiet.  It feels like I am alone in a very desolate place.  

17th century Fujairah Fort(mud, brick) being renovated
an oasis


typical landscape

Masafi Friday Market- beautiful looking fruit

all the men dressed this way

400 year old Bidiya Mosque, oldest in UAE

No comments:

Post a Comment